Tuesday, August 24, 2010

AmeriCorps Reflections on Service - Part 4

The final post in our "AmeriCorps Reflections" series this month is from Gypsy Walukones, AmeriCorps Member - Disaster Outreach Coordinator.

It is somewhat overwhelming to look back at everything I’ve learned during my AmeriCorps year. Aside from picking up enough acronyms to fill a word-of-the-day desk calendar, I gained experience in writing press releases, recruiting and training volunteers, and working with governmental and non-governmental organizations in the disaster arena. I developed a social media plan and documented processes for Emergency Volunteer Centers. I have been given the chance to improve my public speaking skills and represent the program and organization.

I appreciate the opportunities Volunteer San Diego has given me as well as all the help and support I have received from staff, Disaster Cadre volunteers, and fellow AmeriCorps members. It has been an honor and pleasure to work with such an innovative, energetic, and motivated group of people!

Thank you, Gypsy! The energy and talent you have brought to the Disaster Program have made it a pleasure to work with you.

We hope you have read all four of these reflections from Jennie, Sharon, Nate and Gypsy. We have been inspired by all of them. We are sad to see their year of service come to a close, but are proud of each of their accomplishments. We are also happy that many will be staying close by! Gypsy will volunteer on the Disaster Cadre as a Public Information Officer, Sharon is serving on our Serve-a-thon Committee, and Jennie will join our staff as the new Community Organization Services Coordinator. Our sincere gratitude and best wishes go to all four!

No comments: