Friday, September 19, 2008

Get to Know Our New Staff and AmeriCorps Members

Volunteer San Diego Welcomes Our New Staff and AmeriCorps Members

Seth Connolly, Fire Recovery Coordinator
I joined VSD because, as an urban planner, I am interested in helping people to build sustainable and resilient communities. Wildfires are certain to remain a way of life in the San Diego region, and volunteerism can be an important means with which to help residents deal with their impacts -- while also creating stronger community bonds.
My previous position was with the County of San Diego, reviewing plans for the Department of Planning and Land Use. In this position, I was able to see many of the challenges facing survivors of the 2007 wildfires firsthand, and hope that this will serve me well in helping them to understand the processes of recovery and prevention. Prior to coming to San Diego last year, I have also lived in Boston, San Francisco, Vancouver, BC and Orange County.
I currently live in Ocean beach with my wife and young son, where I serve on the local planning board and occasionally get to play in the sand.

Adrianne Burleigh, Citizen Action AmeriCorps - Volunteer Outreach Coordinator
I joined VSD to meet people and learn about non-profits.
Before joining Volunteer San Diego, I was working at a bank.
Something about me is I like cats.

Brandi Love, Citizen Action AmeriCorps - Youth Leadership Coordinator
I joined Volunteer San Diego because when I came for my interview I had a good feeling about the people and the work they were doing for the community. I was thrilled when I got the position!
Before VSD, I recently graduated from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville with a degree in Child and Family Studies and a minor in psychology.
I am really enjoying the beaches here in San Diego!!

Leia Courchaine, AmeriCorps Vista - Project Coordinator
In March 2008, I moved back to San Diego after living out of the state for 5 ½ years. I was attending the University of Texas at San Antonio where I was studying Finance. At UTSA, I was an active brother of the Co-ed Professional Business Fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi and was also taking Polynesian dancing and performing at many events in San Antonio. My return to home (San Diego) was caused by a family emergency that had me move back as soon as I could. Aside from that, I still continued to be active in the community. Since March and as of now I serve as an Officer as Membership Chair for the National Association of Asian American Professionals-San Diego (Formerly San Diego Asian Professionals) and still take Polynesian dancing here in San Diego. I have a 5 year old daughter who just started kindergarten at Olympic View Elementary in Chula Vista.

No comments: